Friday, November 11, 2011

Warmachine 4X4 Trench Table

Its been a long time since my last post but here we go again. Ive been wanting to do a Trench Table for a LONG time. On a whim a couple weeks ago I just started doing it. I didnt lay out a plan or anything. So far things have gone pretty smoothly. I think its cuz I had done it in my head so many times. Usually with a project this size and by this stage (painting) ive made multiple mistakes that I wish I could go back in time and fix. Surprisingly theres only 1 or 2 little things I would do differently. Anywho on to some pictures.







So some WIP shots and then the first coat of paint (the unpainted wood areas seen above are because the trench sides are going to be base coated a darker brown then the ground). The base is a 2 inch thick piece of pink foam. Then I took a 1 inch piece and cut out the shape I wanted for the trenches and glued it on top of the base piece. I find when gluing foam to foam Liquid Nails is the best product by far. The craters were made by using a heat gun (one of the things I would have done differently is made them a bit larger/deeper because once you get the PVA and sand in them they're pretty shallow). My ultimate plan is to use some water effects and make muddy puddles in all of the craters and a few parts of the trench bottoms.  So with that done I then textured the inside of the trenches with PVA Glue and sandbox sand. When that was dry I started the fun/tedious job of all the trench wall detail. Using various bits of balsa wood, tacky glue (better for vertical services then PVA because its *gasp* tackier). corrugated cardboard and sewing pins I spent a few evenings doing all of the detail work. Once the trench walls were done I textured the top. And finally a few shots of the board ready for dry brushing. I hope to be mostly done by Monday (gaming night) and completely done by next week. As always I'm open to comments and critiques.

5 comments:

  1. Looks very promising.

    I thought your previous project with the warhammer fortress was awesome. I'm tempted to try it myself, so I was just wondering what the dimensions were of the board? Length and width of the whole board and length, height and width of the foam hill. Plus did you make the ruins outside the fortress or did you use a plastic set? Kind of going offtopic for this particular project but I thought you're more likely to read it if I comment here.

    Cheers and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and kind words. I don't have the castle board anymore, my friend picked it up a few weeks back so im guessing on some of the measurements. I know the width of the board was 4 ft. I believe the length at the most was 20ish inches. I used 2inch pink foam for everything. The hill was about 8inches high. About 3 inches thick. And 10a inches long. The ruins (and barrels, crates, ladders etc) are all from Pegasus Hobbies. You can get them on TheWarStore.com. don't hesitate to ask anymore questions, always happy to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In that case the paint job on the rock is very good because it looks the same as those ruins and it looks like the Pegasus ruins come already painted to me.

    Thanks for the measurements as well. I was mainly interested in the length of the whole board because I've got some extra fortress components so would probably build mine on two levels instead. The hill you made looks a good height for that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. The rock was basecoated black and then given a dark gray and then a light gray drybrush.
    The pegasus ruins do come prepainted but its very basic, looks like a single gray drybrush.
    two levels would look very cool, sort of a keep inside a wall. Best thing to do is lay it out how you want it then trace the board outline out around the fortress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That explains why the ruins and the rock look the same colour then.

    Sounds good but it wouldn't be any more difficult to what you did if you just set up the lower level at ground level on the board and the part on the hill is the upper level. I suspect that is what I would do so I don't have to make two hills.

    Unfortunately it remains just a project I've got in mind for the future for now. Haven't got a table big enough to do it or a room with enough space. As I say saw this one and thought it was nicely balanced so I thought I'd better find out the dimensions while you're still blogging!

    ReplyDelete